Member Services - Student Membership
AusBiotech is committed to the biotechnology talent of the future, and to fostering the growth and development of the Australian life science industry. AusBiotech’s efforts to assist the next generation of biotechnology professionals have long-standing support from our partners and members.
AusBiotech Student Membership will not only enhance your student experience and networking opportunities, but also provide you with the knowledge to make a successful move into the biotechnology industry.
Membership offers a variety of resources and opportunities for students who plan on entering the biotechnology profession. Get insights from industry leaders, make valuable contacts, and keep up-to-date on the sector to get your career moving in the right direction.
AusBiotech Student Membership is just $85.00 a year and available to those studying full-time (undergraduate or post graduate) in a biotechnology-related discipline. Membership offers the following benefits.
Student member benefits and volunteer program opportunities
- Volunteer at AusBiotech 2017, Australia's national life science conference, to be held from 25 – 27 October at the Adelaide Convention Centre);
- Substantially reduced rates to attend AusBiotech events such as AusMedtech, the AusBiotech national conference and the Advanced Manufacturing Summit;
- Attendance at regular free state-based networking events, such as BioBeers and Bubbles, member briefing events and Christmas networking events;
- Industry news via the BiotechDispatch e-news bulletin (twice a week) and the Australasian Biotechnology e-journal (April, July and October);
- Access to AusBiotech social network groups on LinkedIn and Twitter; and
- Opportunity to add your AusBiotech Membership details to your CV, to demonstrate your connection to this recognised industry organisation and the wider sector.
The Student Membership Rate is available until you gain your first job in the biotechnology industry.
Student volunteers at the International BioFest 2016
Thank you to our wonderful team of student volunteers at the International BioFest, the largest-ever gathering in the Australian life sciences. International BioFest included the 17th International Biotechnology Symposium (IBS 2016), AusBiotech 2016 and Australia Biotech Invest.
Below: International BioFest student volunteers
Paddl jobs for students
Paddl seeks to help all students and graduates secure relevant employment. It connects the world’s students with relevant employment experiences, helping students become job-ready and desirable employees before and after graduation.
- Find jobs relevant to your course
- Gain valuable industry experience
- Discover jobs near your campus and explore others
Access jobs, projects and placements for career-savvy students and register for a free Paddl account.
Careers in biotechnology
Biotechnology is a global industry, and has been in a rapid growth phase over the past decade. Biotechnology encompasses many disciplines including human therapeutics, industrial applications, the agriculture sector, food technology, medical devices and diagnostics, and cleantech. Biotech jobs are highly-skilled and highly-paid. There are many employment options including patent law, manufacturing, science, policy and business development. People with an understanding of both biosciences and business are in high demand.
Potential biotechnology occupations might include the following:
|Bioanalytical chemist||Patent examiner|
|Biodiscovery research scientist||Pharmaceutical representative|
|Business development manager||Policy officer/ manager|
|Clinical researcher||Production technician/ manager|
|Graduate administrative assistant||Quality assurance officer/ manager|
|Laboratory scientist||R & D scientist|
|Medical sales representative||Research development officer|
|Patent attorney (not lawyer)||Technical sales representative|
|Assistant plant breeder||Trainee patent attorney biotechnology|
Australia is already a leading location for biotechnology companies. Career opportunities within the Australian biotechnology sector are promising, both now and into the future. From time to time, AusBiotech industry members advertise employment and work experience opportunities on this website.
Click here to view current advertised jobs. Students are also advised to speak to their university career counsellor for guidance on career pathways.